Each time you work magick, you should casting a circle to contain any undirected energies, to concentrate your own energies, and to protect yourself from energies outside the circle. Since the circle is actually a sphere, it’s best to think of it as a “bubble.” It surrounds you on all sides.
There are times and conditions under which you should not cast a circle, however:
- When you are physically ill.
- If you are exhausted.
- When you are unfocused and ill-prepared.
- If you are angry.
The circle should always be filled with positive energy. The steps in casting the circle are as follows:
- Cleanse the space of negativity by sweeping it out with your broom. Say:
Sweep, sweep with this broom
All bad out of this room.
Sweep, sweep all good in
The bad to never return again.
- Consecrate the area by circling the room clockwise three times.
- First carry a bowl of water.
- Say, “I walk the circle once around, to cleanse and consecrate this ground.”
- Second carry a bowl of salt.
- Say, “I walk the circle once again, between the worlds all time can bend.”
- Then carry a censer with burning incense.
- Say, “I walk the circle thrice this time, for the protection of the Lord and Lady are mine.”
- Using your athame, wand, or a staff, trace the edge of the circle, again walking deosil(clockwise.) In your mind, envision pulling up a circle.
You can do these rituals by imaging a flowing white light forming a cocoon around the space or imagine filaments of a protective magick web forming. Use whatever image works best for you and completes the picture of an all-encompassing sphere.